At Ospika Animal Hospital we understand the stress a vet visit can cause your pet. We have taken extra steps to ensure a minimal stress visit for your furry or feathered friend. If you have questions about how to improve your pets visit, please call us and our staff would be happy to discuss it with you.
Here are some additional suggestions which may make your pets visit more pleasant:
- We have helpful products that can be used prior to your pets visit including. For cats, using Feliway, Zylkene and Gabapentin can make an enormous difference in reducing your cats stress levels and reactivity at the clinic. For dogs who are extremely fearful or aggressive we can use similar products to help them have a pleasant visit. Call us a few days in advance of your visit have the right option ready before your visit.
- Bring out the carrier a few days, or even a week, before you appointment. Leave in a neutral area that your cat enjoys spending time. Place treats, toys and favorite blankets in the carrier and encourage your cat to spend time exploring it.
- A small meal just before a car ride could prevent upset tummy for pets that get car sick.
- Bring your pets favourite treats to reward them for good behavior while here. This will teach them that visiting the vet can be a positive experience.
- Before and after your visit with your dog, bring them in for 'Happy Visits'. You are very welcome to bring them into reception, say hello to our receptionists and receive some treats without anything scary happening. With enough visits, your pup with learn that the vet is a fun place to be.
- If your cat has a favourite toy or blanket bring it along. The scent of something familiar and friendly can make your cat feel much more comfortable, especially if they have to stay overnight.
- Near our fireplace we have created shelving for 'Cat Parking'. Science has proven that placing cats high above dogs and strangers helps them remain calm prior to their appointment. Please feel free to use these cat parking spots while in our waiting room.